https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96CiaMiDx1o&t=49s 

THE PURPLE ORCHID 

Written by THIEN MARSHALL THACH
WGA #1366909

INT. HOTEL - BATH ROOM -DAY 1

Camera angles on a FAUCET filling water on three quarters

filled-bathtub.

CUT TO:

(BOTTOM VIEW) One PURPLE ORCHID lands on the water one at a

time.

CUT TO:

Sommer, a 22 years-old woman with agoraphobia, is embraced by

400 petals of PURPLE ORCHID (having a purple orchid bath).

A MENTAL RELIEVING MUSIC is heard as Sommer slides her entire

body into the orchids.

[This mental relieving music is the MOTIF of which is played

again in THE KILLING FIELDS scene].

CUT TO:

INT. HOTEL BEDROOM - DAY.

Sommer dries her hair with a HOTEL WHITE TOWER and wraps

herself in HOTEL WHITE TOWEL as she enters hotel room whose

curtains are completely SHUT.

Camera slowly angles on a hotel PHONE off-hook.

A CALENDAR shows daily activities she is to follow, a

MEDICATION BOX, KERCOPES (MONKEY), and a LARGE PIECE OF CLOTH

(used as cocooning) displaying on bed.

CUT TO:

Sommer is sitting at a desk emailing her THERAPIST-MOTHER.

Next to her LAPTOP is a CRYSTAL CLEAR VASE, full of neatly

arranged PURPLE ORCHIDS.

SOMMER (V.O.)

Dear mother, how are you? I’m fine.

I arrived safely in the city of

Phnom Penh. The overnight VIP bus

from Siam Reap was most

comfortable. I checked into a

wonderful hotel situated in the

heart of the city. The plan has

been working well. The cocoon

therapy was well enclosed and

protected. The purple orchid bath

gets me feeling grandma’s presence.

(CONTINUED)

Sleeping pills helped me sleep on

the flight over the Pacific Ocean.

The pills also made the 5 hour-ride

from Siam Reap tranquil. KERCOPES

was of course on my back all the

time. I can’t imagine travel

without him.

Upon my arrival friendly hotel

staff welcomed me and walked me to

the hotel. I wish you were here so

we could have enjoyed the historic

attractions together.

Today is the last day of my trip. I

am about to attempt the impossible.

Riding on a tuktuk. I feel so

vulnerable. Its a short ride, so I

will not cocoon in public, too

embarrassing. No sleeping tablets

for such a short ride either. I

must stay cogent at all times.

The tuktuk ride is a nerve-racking

experience. The incomplete

enclosure traumatizes me, as danger

could come from any direction. You

know how it is when I become

anxious. But don’t worry Ill manage

it. I will tell you how it goes

tonight.

Love Sommer

CUT TO:

2 INT. HOTEL BEDROOM - DAY 2

Sommer slowly walks to the curtains. Through (REVERSE SHOT) a

crack-open, she peeks through the window. There is a few

TUKTUKs idling down on the street.

CUT TO:

3 INT. HOTEL BEDROOM -CONTINUE 3

Sommer inserts MODULAR CONNECTOR onto the phone and dials the

TELEPHONE on the NIGHT-STAND.

SOMMER

Hi, this is Sommer, room 201. I’d

like to book a tour of the city on

a tuktuk this afternoon.

(CONTINUED)

2.

FRONT DESK (V.O.)

Of course. I’m more than happy to

assist you. When do you plan to go?

Can it be ready in 30 minutes?

FRONT DESK (V.O.)

No problems. I’ll have a tuktuk in

the front waiting for you.

SOMMER

Thanks.

FRONT DESK

Thank you. I’m glad to be of your

services.

After she gets dressed, places Kercopes on her shoulders,

removes one of the orchids in the crystal vase, then

carefully places it in her pocket.

CUT TO:

4 EXT. IN FRONT OF HOTEL - NOON 4

Sommer with Kercopes on her back exits the main entrance

where is JAY, a CAMBODIAN MAN at his early 30s,

enthusiastically greeting her.

JAY

Good morning miss.

SOMMER

You meant “good afternoon”!

JAY

Yes, good afternoon! (Beat) My name

is Chhay, your tuktuk driver. You

can call me “JAY.”

SOMMER

Hi Jay.

They walk to a tuktuk (following shot).

(CONTINUED)

3.

JAY

What is your name? (Beat) May I

ask?

SOMMER

Sommer.

JAY

Miss “SUMMER.” Is it your first

time to Cambodia?

SOMMER

My name is SOMMER, not SUMMER.

Jay struggles pronouncing her name.

JAY

Sorry. Miss S...ou..mer.

SOMMER

Sommer! Just call me Sommer.

Handing a TOUR-MAP to Sommer as they are walking toward the

tuktuk (following shot).

JAY

Here are the city tour highlights.

We’ll visit Toul Sleng museum last.

(Beat) Do you know what Toul Sleng

museum is?

SOMMER

What...

JAY

It is the GENOCIDE museum...

SOMMER

No.

(CONTINUED)

4.

JAY

Really? Toul Sleng Genocide museum

is a must visit on the list.

SOMMER

No.

JAY

Here is my tuktuk.

Sommer stares the tuktuk, withdrawing.

JAY

Something wrong?

SOMMER

Can you get another one?

JAY

What’s wrong with this one?

SOMMER

It is... unsafe...

JAY

My tuktuk is safe as any tuktuks.

Pointing at a tuktuk nearby on which it has metal-wire

fencing around it.

SOMMER

I want something like that one.

JAY

That?

SOMMER

Yes.

JAY

You don’t like mine?

(CONTINUED)

5.

SOMMER

Not that I don’t like it, but...

JAY

Oh...huh... Let me see... wait a

second.

Jay unfolds the weather-covers and secures them onto the

tuktuk.

JAY

Is it OK now miss SUMMER?

SOMMER

Sommer!

JAY

(struggling)

Yes, miss Su....So...

SOMMER

Sommer please.

JAY

Please hop on.

Sommer slowly gets on the tuktuk.

JAY

You need help?

SOMMER

I’m all right.

Waiting until she completely gets on the tuktuk.

JAY

Ready?

SOMMER

Ready.

(CONTINUED)

6.

JAY

Enjoy the ride!

CUT TO:

5 EXT. STREET OF PHNOM PENH - DAY 5

A montage of the streets of Phnom Penh as the tuktuk passes

the Independent Monument, the Royal Palace, the River

Front...

Camera angles on Sommer’s hands -on one hand, it grabs very

tight to the tuktuk; on the other is on Kercopes.

CUT TO:

The tuktuk is circling the Wat Phnom, there suddenly a woman

on the street passes a NEATLY WRAPPED INFANT in a KROMA onto

Sommer’s arms. The woman quickly runs into an alley nearby.

Moment of fleshly contacting with the baby, Sommer feels

strong and empowered. Her fears and anxieties dissipates as

if this is her found healing.

After a moment of delightful experience, she shouts at Jay.

SOMMER

Jay! Jay! What is it?

Jay stops the tuktuk. Summer immediately jumps off the

tuktuk.

SOMMER

What? How did I do that?

Studying the baby.

SOMMER

It must be you.

JAY

What is this?

SOMMER

The baby! The baby! What am I going

to with the baby!

(CONTINUED)

7.

JAY

What?

SOMMER

Someone just tossed this baby at

me!

By this time we see the woman is about to disappear into an

alley nearby.

JAY

I’ll be right back.

Camera angles on the infant on Sommer’s arms, smiling.

The infant’s POV on Sommer’s delightful smiling face.

SOMMER

Hey pretty. What did you do to me?

JAY

Sorry miss SUMMER.

SOMMER

Sommer!

JAY

Yes, (struggling) miss

Suu.....oooomer, I couldn’t catch

her.

SOMMER

Call me SOMMER, please.

JAY

(frustration)

Sommer! Sommer! Sommer! I must

remember it.

SOMMER

What am I to do with the baby?

(Beat) hum... I was thinking of...

(CONTINUED)

8.

JAY

Right! Let’s bring the baby to a

nearby local authority. I know one

a few blocks from here.

SOMMER

OK.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Hey pretty. What am I to do with

you?

Sommer spots RASHES on the infant as she fixes the kroma.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Measles!

She feels the infant temperature.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Fever! She is having... Jay, the

baby is having fever!

JAY

What?

SOMMER

We need to bring her to see a

doctor! Do you know any?

JAY

A doctor?

SOMMER

Yeah, a doctor or a hospital nearby

or whatever...

JAY

OK.

CUT TO:

9.

6 EXT. NGO CLINIC, FRONT 6

Jay stops his tuktuk in front of an NGO (Non-Governmental

Organization) CLINIC.

JAY

This is it.

Sommer jumps off the tuktuk. Delightfully looking at the

baby.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

It must be you!

7 INT. NGO CLINIC, WAITING ROOM - DAY 7

Sommer strides into the waiting room. There is a ROSA, an

American nurse who is running the NGO clinic, talking to

someone on the phone, and a few patients, one of whom is a

non-Cambodian patient, in the room. Rosa signs Sommer to wait

while talking on the phone with someone.

ROSA

Absolutely, she is adorable. You

will love her. Sure, I’ll be seeing

both tomorrow.

Rosa hangs up the phone in a very good mood.

ROSA

(cheerfully)

Oh hi. I am nurse Rosa. What’s

wrong with the baby?

SOMMER

She’s having measles. I think she

is having chickenpox.

Visually checking on the baby.

ROSA

Oh my! Please follow me.

The NON-CAMBODIAN MAN suddenly gets off his seat, protesting.

(CONTINUED)

10.

NON-CAMBODIAN

Hey... What’s going on? I am having

diarrhea here.

Rosa turns around warning.

ROSA

Chicken pox!

NON-CAMBODIAN

What! Chicken pox?

The man blocks his nose and runs away.

CUT TO:

8 INT. CLINIC, EXAM ROOM -DAY 8

Sommer follows Rosa to an exam room.

SOMMER

I like your happy spirit. It is

surely contagious.

ROSA

That’s good right?

SOMMER

Yes it is.

Can’t hold on to her excitement.

ROSA

I’m commissioned to help an

American couple adopt a baby girl

in Cambodia.

SOMMER

That’s wonderful.

ROSA

They are very excited about it.

They are flying to Cambodia,

(pause).

(CONTINUED)

11.

They’ll actually be in Phnom Penh

tomorrow night. They can’t wait to

see the baby.

CUT TO:

9 INT. NGO CLINIC, EXAM-ROOM -DAY 9

They enter exam-room.

ROSA

Please place her here.

Visually checking on the infant’s skin, Rosa’s face seems

puzzling momentarily.

ROSA

Let me check her temperature.

Rosa inserts a THERMOMETER in the infant’s. Shortly, a BEEP

is heard.

SOMMER

How is it?

ROSA

39!

SOMMER

39?

ROSA

Oh, we’re using Celsius. It’s

around 102.

SOMMER

102?

ROSA

Right. Let me give her some liquid

Tylenol help bring her temperature

down. (Beat) Can you wait in the

waiting room. I’ll be right out in

a minute.

(CONTINUED)

12.

SOMMER

Sure.

CUT TO:

10 INT. NGO CLINIC, WAITING ROOM -DAY 10

Jay enters the room while Sommer is reading the Phnom Penh

Post.

JAY

What happened to the little girl?

SOMMER

She is not good. She is having

chickenpox.

JAY

Is she going to be OK?

SOMMER

I don’t know. I hope so.

JAY

Do you still need me?

SOMMER

Of course, I do.

JAY

I’ll be in the front waiting for

you.

SOMMER

You can stay, if you want.

JAY

OK.

Shortly after Jay settles on a chair, Rosa reappears.

(CONTINUED)

13.

ROSA

She is not well. I’ll keep her here

until she completely recovers.

(Beat)What part of the States are

you from?

SOMMER

Santa Barbara, California.

ROSA

Los Angeles, here. (Beat) What are

you to the infant?

SOMMER

Oh, nothing. My name is Sommer. I

am... It was just...

Jay chimes in.

JAY

Some crazy woman on the street

tossed this baby at her.

ROSA

Hah! I wouldn’t surprise. (Beat)

Are you sure you don’t know the

woman?

SOMMER

No. I don’t! I don’t even know how

she looks like. She approached the

tuktuk, and passed the baby onto my

arms, then quickly disappeared into

an alley nearby. This is Jay.

JAY

Hi, I’m her tuktuk driver.

ROSA

Hi Jay. I’m glad you guys brought

her here.

SOMMER

We should thank Jay rather.

(CONTINUED)

14.

JAY

I’m glad I can help.

SOMMER

How long do you think she must stay

here?

ROSA

That depends how fast she recovers.

It could be a couple of days. She

needs a lot of rest, liquid, and

liquid Tylenol every four hours.

SOMMER

I am not sure what to do with the

baby. Any suggestions? Maybe I

could bring her to a local

authority.

ROSA

There are many babies abandoned in

Cambodia every year. It’s very

unlikely she is a priority.

SOMMER

What am I to do with her?

ROSA

A home for orphanage is a choice.

SOMMER

Do you know any?

ROSA

A few!

SOMMER

And you can help?

ROSA

I could.

(CONTINUED)

15.

SOMMER

I wish I could do more.

ROSA

You have done a lot already.

SOMMER

Thank so much for your help.

ROSA

I’m doing my job.

SOMMER

I know that she’s ill, but I’d love

to visit her again this afternoon.

Is that OK?

ROSA

(reluctant)

Of course you can. We all love

kids, don’t we?

SOMMER

I believe so, but this one is

different.

ROSA

Yes, she is very different.

SOMMER

No, I mean different in a

mysterious way. (Beat) Can I bring

anything?

ROSA

What do you mean “mysterious way”?

SOMMER

I’m sure what it was but I’ll find

out later.

(CONTINUED)

16.

ROSA

I guest the Kingdom is full of

mysteries, isn’t it?.

SOMMER

I guest. (Beat) Can I bring

anything?

ROSA

Oh sure. Milk, baby water bottles.

Diapers would be nice. We accept

monetary donations as well.

SOMMER

I guess I can handle that. Can I

see her before I leave?

ROSA

Sure. Come on.

Rosa leads her to the room where the infant staying.

SOMMER

Hey little precious. I just want

you to know, I’ll come back to see

you later this afternoon.

Sommer wears her orchid onto the infant’s.

SOMMER

How about that? This is what my

grandmother wore on me when I was

having measles like you. She said

it would help accelerate my

recovery, and it did. I’m sure it

will work for you too. Hum... what

should I call you... “Orchid!” Yes,

that’s it.

ROSA

Orchid! That’s pretty name for a

girl.

SOMMER

It is my grandma’s.

(CONTINUED)

17.

ROSA

Oh, I see.

SOMMER

Isn’t she adorable?

ROSA

She’s precious!

SOMMER

All right. I’ll be back a few

hours. Maybe around 3. Of course

with the baby supplies.

ROSA

Thank you. I’ll see you later. Oh,

I need your contact information

just in case.

SOMMER

Good idea. I am staying at (PRODUCT

PLACEMENT, A BUSINESS CARD WITH

LOGO) hotel.

CUT TO:

11 INT. HOTEL ROOM - DAY 11

Sommer sits in front of her laptop sending e-mail to her

mother.

SOMMER (V.O.)

Dear mother,

You wouldn’t believe how excited it

was today. While I was struggling

to remain calm on the ride, there a

strange woman approached the tuktuk

then tossed an infant girl into my

arms. The moment of having the

infant in my arms, it was like

magic. My anxieties and fears

immediately dissipated. I felt so

strong and empowered as if I could

confidently ride on an elephant.

There is a SOFT SOUND of a text message in her SUITCASE.

(CONTINUED)

18.

SOMMER

Mom!

She pulls her cell from the suitcase, and dials.

SOMMER

Mom.

MOTHER (V.O.)

How did it go love?

SOMMER

I...I did it mother!

MOTHER (V.O.)

You did! Oh that’s great! I am very

proud of you.

SOMMER

But not...not...entirely though.

MOTHER

What do you mean love?

Sommer tries to describe about the incident, but she is

emotionally unable to.

SOMMER

I’ll...I’ll... email you about it

mother.

MOTHER (V.O.)

Take a deep breath and relax...

SOMMER

I’m trying mother.

The HOTEL PHONE rings disrupting their conversation.

MOTHER

I am hearing phone ringing in the

background.

(CONTINUED)

19.

Sommer blocks her ears.

MOTHER (V.O.)

(urging)

Sommer! Don’t panic! Pick up the

phone and hang it up, quickly.

Sommer picks it up and slams quickly it back on the cradle.

MOTHER (V.O.)

Sommer. Are you all right? What is

going on honey?

SOMMER

Would...would you... excuse me

mother?

MOTHER (V.O.)

Sommer wait! What’s going on?

Sommer nervously dials the FRONT DESK.

FRONT DESK

Front desk, how can I help you?

SOMMER

This is Sommer, room 201. Did you

just call?

FRONT DESK (V.O.)

That was a phone call from someone

named Rosa.

SOMMER

Rosa?

Back to cell.

SOMMER

Mother, I’ll call you back?

MOTHER (V.O.)

Wait! You’re worrying me Sommer.

(CONTINUED)

20.

SOMMER

Mom, I’ll call you back!

Back to the FRONT DESK.

SOMMER

Could I talk to her?

FRONT DESK

She hang up. Just hold on a second,

I’ll call you back.

SOMMER

OK, thanks.

FRONT DESK

No problems.

Staring at the phone, very anxious.

Shortly, we hear the phone rings. Sommer quickly picks it up.

FRONT DESK

Here’s miss Rosa.

SOMMER

Please put her on. Thanks.

FRONT DESK

Sure.

ROSA (V.O.)

Sommer?

SOMMER

Yes.

ROSA (V.O.)

Hi, this is Rosa from the clinic.

SOMMER

Hi, is there something wrong?

(CONTINUED)

21.

ROSA (V.O.)

The baby has been stolen!

SOMMER

What? By who?

ROSA (V.O.)

By her mother.

SOMMER

Her mother? How do you know that

was her mother?

ROSA (V.O.)

She said so.

SOMMER

And you believe her?

ROSA (V.O.)

No! I don’t.

SOMMER

Did you call the police?

ROSA (V.O.)

Calling the police? You’re in

Cambodia remember? Children are the

least priority. Besides, I have

patients to care of.

SOMMER

What do we do?

ROSA (V.O.)

I wouldn’t worry. I’m sure she will

be OK with her mother.

SOMMER

But she’s having chickenpox.

(CONTINUED)

22.

ROSA

I know but...

SOMMER

Uh... I... I... need to find out

about... before I...

ROSA

She’s gonna be OK with her mother,

Sommer. She knows what to do.

SOMMER

No. Otherwise, she wouldn’t abandon

her child at the first place.

ROSA

You’ll be alright Sommer. I have to

take care of patients. I was nice

meeting you. You have a great trip

home.

SOMMER

But...

Rosa hangs up the phone.

Sommer redials the front desk.

SOMMER

Hi, this is Sommer, room 201. Is

Jay still around?

FRONT DESK

Who? Jay?

SOMMER

Yes, Jay, the tuktuk driver.

FRONT DESK

No, he is not at the moment. How

can I help you? What I can help you

with? Do you need a ride?

(CONTINUED)

23.

SOMMER

Yes, I do. I need Jay, sort of

urgent. Is he around?

FRONT DESK

Not really. Let me see what I can

do. I’ll call you right back.

SOMMER

I... I... think I should call you.

FRONT DESK

No problems. Just give me a few

minutes.

Walking back and forth in the room then the window. She

anxiously stares down on the street through a crack-open of

the curtains.

The phone rings again. She picks up the phone quickly.

SOMMER

I am supposed to call you!

JAY (V.O.)

Hi, this is Jay. Did you call?

SOMMER

(calmly)

Oh Jay. Can you take me back to the

clinic?

JAY

What? I thought you said around

3PM.

SOMMER

I know. Could you?

JAY

Of course. I’ll be there in 10

minutes.

(CONTINUED)

24.

SOMMER

Great, see you.

Back to her unfinished email, she types.

SOMMER

Sorry mother, something is coming

up. I’ll tell you all about it

later.

Love - Sommer.

CUT TO:

12 EXT. IN FRONT OF NGO CLINIC - DAY 12

Unlike last time with the baby, she gets on the tuktuk is not

as easy. Jay watching on.

JAY

Can I help?

CUT TO:

13 INT. NGO CLINIC, FRONT - AFTERNOON 13

Jay pulls to a complete stop in front of the clinic.

Sommer runs straight in.

SOMMER

Rosa! It’s me, Sommer.

She repeatedly fingers the BELL. Shortly, Rosa appears from

the back, appearing very upset.

ROSA

Oh, you again.

SOMMER

Did you hear anything about the

baby?

ROSA

No.

(CONTINUED)

25.

SOMMER

Do you know where she took the baby

to?

ROSA

I don’t Sommer. She came in and

said she was the mother of the

infant.

SOMMER

How did you know for sure she was

the mother?

ROSA

No, I didn’t. She came in and said

she was Orchid’s mother who passed

her baby to a Western woman on a

tuktuk this morning. (Beat) Does it

sound familiar to you?

SOMMER

What do you mean?

ROSA

That western woman must have been

you, right?

SOMMER

Did you tell about her Orchid’s

condition?

ROSA

(displeasure)

Of course! That’s my job. She was

very upset. She cried and said that

she made a mistake, and how bad she

felt after giving her baby away.

And she feared of her “alcoholic

abusive husband” who she said would

beat her up severely... blablba...

So I let her stay to attend Orchid

momentarily, but by the time I cam

back, ugh! (Beat) You wanna come

in?

(CONTINUED)

26.

SOMMER

Sure.

In the patient room, Sommer spots the orchid she wore on the

infant earlier on the floor, she picks it up.

SOMMER

I’m worrying for her. What do we

do? Shouldn’t you report to the

police about the kidnap?

ROSA

Bad things happen sometimes. My

advice to you is to go home and

forget all about it.

SOMMER

But...

CUT TO:

14 INT. NGO CLINIC, WAITING ROOM -AFTERNOON 14

As Sommer walks out of the exam-room.

JAY

Any luck?

(Overlap)

JAY

I’m so sorry miss.

SOMMER

Sommer!

JAY

What can I do to help?

SOMMER

Yes, you can help. Please take me

to the rest of the tour. We still

have time right?

JAY

Certainly.

As if she remembers something.

(CONTINUED)

27.

SOMMER

Jay can you wait a second.

She runs back to Rosa.

SOMMER

Rosa!

ROSA

I’m in here.

SOMMER

I need to talk to you.

ROSA

Do you?

CUT TO:

15 INT. NGO CLINIC, OFFICE - AFTERNOON 15

ROSA

Tell me what’s on your mind.

SOMMER

I... I mean Orchid is... Do you

believe in magic?

ROSA

What magic?

SOMMER

Magic. You know magic.

ROSA

No. I don’t!

SOMMER

You know sometimes things happen

with great surprises.

(CONTINUED)

28.

ROSA

(sarcastic)

Oh, you mean magic like Jesus

Christ heals the Canaanite woman.

Right?

SOMMER

(confused)

Yes... healing... something like

that.

ROSA

It’s never happened to me. So I

wouldn’t know.

SOMMER

Never?

ROSA

No.

Sommer looks around, pointing to an ILLUSTRATION OF BRAINS

posted on the wall.

SOMMER

How about that? That brain can not

speak but it can show, right?

ROSA

I’m a nurse. I’m not sure your

point.

SOMMER

OK. I am the... the... Canaada

woman.

ROSA

Canaanite (emphasis) woman! Not

Canaada woman.

SOMMER

I’m the Canaa...nite woman.

(CONTINUED)

29.

ROSA

Wait! Why you’re telling me this. I

ain’t no Jesus Christ, and I ain’t

give no miracle.

SOMMER

I am... a person with...

agoraphobia.

ROSA

Oh, agoraphobia! I couldn’t tell.

(Beat) But what is that to do with

anything?

SOMMER

You know it wasn’t easy for me to

fly across the Pacific Ocean just

to be here...

ROSA

So?

SOMMER

I need your help... please.

ROSA

What kind of help?

SOMMER

I’m sure you must have lived years

in Cambodia. You know the areas,

the people, and...

ROSA

You mean helping you to search for

the baby Orchid?

SOMMER

Didn’t I say that already?

ROSA

No. You did not.

(CONTINUED)

30.

SOMMER

I thought I did. Yes, could you?

ROSA

Didn’t I tell you to go home and

forget everything.

SOMMER

Go home? Of course, I am going home

but it’s tomorrow.

ROSA

This is Cambodia. This is not a

place for someone with agoraphobia.

SOMMER

What do you mean?

ROSA

What I mean is that (beat) did you

just have the HAPPY PIZZA.

SOMMER

Happy Pizza?

ROSA

Sure you did.

SOMMER

No. I don’t know what it is you’re

referring to.

ROSA

Because this is Cambodia! The

country that is full of dangers.

Kidnaps. Deceases. Chaos.

Uncertainties...(Stuttering)

corruption.

SOMMER

Exactly! That is all I want. I want

dangers! Kidnaps! Deceases! Chaos!

Uncertainties! And corruption!

(CONTINUED)

31.

(Reaction shot on Rosa)

ROSA

Go get some happy pizza. You will

get everything.

SOMMER

Sorry. I don’t eat pizza. (Beat)

Wait! We’re talking about helping

me to search for Orchid, right?

ROSA

Exactly. The happy pizza will help

you on the search.

SOMMER

Honestly, I...

ROSA

Come on. I have work to do.

SOMMER

I don’t know what it is but at the

moment of having Orchid in my arms.

I felt so strong and empowered. I

mean it was just like miracle. My

fears and anxieties suddenly

dissolved.

ROSA

Oh that. That’s called a

“sensational experience,” which is

very common.

SOMMER

A sensational experience?

ROSA

Who wouldn’t feel strong and

empowered by the little, soft,

fragile, and harmless of an infant

in her arms.

Studying Sommer’s skeptical look.

(CONTINUED)

32.

ROSA

Experiment it yourself, then tell

me how you feel.

SOMMER

Maybe... you’re right. (Beat) Can I

start from here?

ROSA

Legally, I don’t think it is a good

idea.

SOMMER

Where would you suggest if not

here?

ROSA

Anywhere. On the streets, at

Riverside, New Market or something.

I’m sure Jay can help you.

CUT TO:

16 EXT. RIVER FRONT, SIDEWALK, AFTERNOON 16

Sommer approaches a Cambodian couple with an INFANT in a

STROLLER.

SOMMER

Excuse me. Is it your first?

THE FATHER

Yes, he is our first.

Sommer sits down playing with the infant.

SOMMER

Hey handsome, how are you doing?

SOMMER (CONT’D)

How old is he?

THE FATHER

Eight months.

(CONTINUED)

33.

SOMMER

He’s so cute. Do you think... do

you mind if I could hold him for a

second? I love kids.

The father turns to his wife.

THE FATHER

(Khmer)

She asks if she could hold her.

THE MOTHER

(Khmer)

I don’t see that’s a problem.

The mother picks up the infant and gives her to Sommer.

SOMMER

My name is Sommer. What’s his name?

THE FATHER

Hanuman!

THE MOTHER

(Khmer)

Don’t call my child “monkey!”

SOMMER

What did she say?

THE FATHER

My wife doesn’t like me to call him

“monkey.” (Beat) oh you got one on

your back.

SOMMER

Its name is Kercopes.

THE FATHER

My son’s name is Seiha.

(CONTINUED)

34.

SOMMER

Seiha. Does it mean anything?

THE FATHER

It means I think is “August.”

SOMMER

That is a good name for boy.

(Giving the infant back the mother)

He is a good looking little man.

Thank you.

THE FATHER

Thank you.

SOMMER

Enjoy the walk.

Sommer by herself keeps strolling along the riverside until

she sees a woman carrying a baby girl.

SOMMER

Hi. Is that your pretty girl?

The woman smiles broadly.

THE WOMAN

(Khmer)

I don’t understand what you’re

saying.

JAY

(Khmer)

Is it a girl?

THE WOMAN

(Khmer)

She is.

She sticks her hands out.

(CONTINUED)

35.

SOMMER

May I?

The woman giggles, then passes the baby girl to Sommer.

Having the baby girl in her arms, she appears weary.

After giving the baby girl back to the mother, she heads back

to the tuktuk where Jay is waiting.

JAY

No? We can go to the children

hospital near Wat Phnom.

SOMMER

Thanks. I’m really tired. Please

take me back to the hotel.

CUT TO:

17 EXT. HOTEL FRONT - LATER AFTERNOON 17

The tuktuk pulls to a complete stop in front of the hotel.

Sommer cautiously gets off the tuktuk, then hands two 20

dollar bills to Jay.

SOMMER

Is it OK?

JAY

It is more than OK mmm...

He is about to say “MISS,” but he leaves it unfinished.

SOMMER

Thank you.

JAY

(giggle)

Anytime.

SOMMER

Thanks for the tour.

(CONTINUED)

36.

JAY

Thank you.

She walks into the hotel entrance, Jay calls after.

JAY (CONT’D)

Are you sure you don’t want to

search for the baby?

SOMMER

Riding on a tuktuk, I am very

fulfilling. (Beat) I’ll be flying

home tomorrow.

JAY

Oh. You need a ride to the airport

tomorrow?

SOMMER

Oh. I am planning to take taxi to

the airport. Yeah on a tuktuk. Why

not?

JAY

What time is your flight?

SOMMER

4:25PM, but you need to be here by

1.

JAY

Sure. I’ll be here by 1PM.

Jay hands a business CARD with his cell number on.

JAY (CONT’D)

Here’s my number. Just in case.

SOMMER

Thanks.

37.

18 INT. HOTEL LOBBY - LATE AFTERNOON 18

Sommer walks toward the front desk to get the key to her

room.

SOMMER

Room 201 please.

FRONT DESK

You have a message from your

mother.

SOMMER

My mother?

The FRONT DESK nods, giving her a HAND WRITTEN MESSAGE and

the key.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Thanks.

CUT TO:

19 INT. HOTEL BED ROOM - LATER THAT DAY 19

Sommer dials her cell.

SOMMER

Mom!

MOTHER

Oh, I am so happy to hear from you.

Is there everything OK.

SOMMER

Yes. Everything is OK.

MOTHER

I was worrying about you.

SOMMER

Oh, nothing to worry about it

mother.

(CONTINUED)

38.

MOTHER

So tell me what happened with the

baby?

SOMMER

Oh, she has been taken care of

mother.

MOTHER

What about the magic you mentioned

on the e-mail?

SOMMER

Nothing mother.

MOTHER

Are you sure? It sounds wonderful,

you said you felt you could ride on

an “elephant.” You wouldn’t say

something like that unless...

SOMMER

It could be just my illusion.

MOTHER

Illusion? (Beat) How the tuktuk

ride?

SOMMER

(very emotional)

Great.

MOTHER

You did it?

SOMMER

Yes. I did.

MOTHER

That’s great accomplishment Sommer.

I am very proud of you.

(CONTINUED)

39.

MOTHER

I am very proud of you. I can’t

wait to hear all about it.

SOMMER

I’ll tell you more about it.

MOTHER

I’ll see you tomorrow.

SOMMER

Yes mother.

MOTHER

Call me anytime love.

SOMMER

I will.

Sommer walks back and forth in the room, unsettled.

Sommer intensely looks at the purple orchid in her hand.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

There is something about her.

She spots a SHOPPING BAG.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

The baby supplies! I forgot all

about this.

She nervously connects the phone cord into the jack, then

dials.

ROSA(V.O.)

Rosa here!

SOMMER

Oh, Rosa. This is Sommer.

(CONTINUED)

40.

ROSA

Oh Sommer! I am so happy that you

call. Any luck?

SOMMER

No. Not really.

ROSA

I’m sorry to hear that. What time

you’re leaving tomorrow?

SOMMER

I got the baby supplies, but I

forgot all about it. Can I could

drop it off later?

ROSA

That is very nice.

SOMMER

I’ll be there in an hour or so.

ROSA

No no... don’t worry. You can leave

it at the front desk. I’ll have

someone to pick it up tomorrow.

SOMMER

Please I insist. I don’t have

anything to do anyway. I’ll see

you.

ROSA

You don’t have to Sommer. Enjoy

your last day in Phnom Penh.

She hangs up, and calls Jay.

JAY (V.O.)

Hello.

(CONTINUED)

41.

SOMMER

Jay! This is Sommer. I need to go

back to the clinic.

JAY

Again?

SOMMER

Yes.

JAY

I am having customers now, but I’ll

be there maybe 20 minutes.

SOMMER

Please hurry.

CUT TO:

20 EXT. IN FRONT OF NGO CLINIC - LATE AFTERNOON 20

Sommer enters the clinic with the shopping bag.

SOMMER

Rosa.

SOMMER

No. Not at all. (Beat) Any news

from Orchid?

ROSA

No. Not a thing.

Behind them, we see Jay talking a few parents outside.

Sommer hands the shopping bag to Rosa.

ROSA

It should be that much trouble.

SOMMER

No. Not at all.

Jay runs in the waiting and shouts.

(CONTINUED)

42.

JAY

Cheoung Ek!

ROSA

What?

JAY

I know Choeung Ek. The mother took

her there.

Rosa stays frozen.

ROSA

Wait! Who... told you that?

JAY

One of the parents in the front. He

said he had a brief talk with the

mother whose name is Serey Pich,

and she lives in Cheoung Ek. It is

an hour from here. I can take her

there.

SOMMER

Where is Cheoung Ek?

JAY

An hour from here.

Rosa protests.

ROSA

No. Don’t listen to him. You...

don’t want to go to Cheoung Ek.

SOMMER

Why not?

To Jay.

ROSA

Jay. Why don’t you go out for a

cigarette?

(CONTINUED)

43.

JAY

I don’t smoke but eat happy pizza.

ROSA

Would you excuse us?

JAY

Sure.

Jay leaves the waiting room.

ROSA

Do you know what Cheoung Ek is?

SOMMER

Not really.

ROSA

Hold on a second.

Rosa returns with a PAMPHLET of Cheoung Ek.

ROSA

Here is Cheoung Ek.

Showing the pamphlet with images of bones and skulls on

abandon grounds.

Sommer looks away.

SOMMER

I thought it was about a movie?

ROSA

No. It’s not. It is an actual place

where hundreds of people were

executed by the Khmer Rouge.

Studying Sommer’s hiding her fears.

ROSA

I don’t think this is a place you

want to go.

(CONTINUED)

44.

SOMMER

But Jay will help me.

ROSA

Do you trust him?

SOMMER

I trust him.

ROSA

Being a person who lives and works

here long I wanna tell you this.

Cambodia rural is not a safe place.

Especially in this hour.

SOMMER

But Jay said it is an hour from

here.

ROSA

I know but I don’t want you to end

up death like...

SOMMER

You mean I shouldn’t go?

ROSA

Absolutely!

Jay runs in disrupting their talk.

JAY

Come on. It’s getting dark.

Rosa becomes furious.

ROSA

How are you gonna find her?

JAY

Oh, Cheoung Ek is a small village.

Everyone knows every one. We’ll

find her easily.

(CONTINUED)

45.

ROSA

But Sommer is a person with

agoraphobia.

JAY

Don’t worry. I know a short cut. I

may take 40 minutes or so.

ROSA

Do you know what agoraphobia is?

Jay looks puzzled.

SOMMER

Rosa, when was the last time you

fed her Tylenol?

ROSA

Sommer, you’re not listening to me.

SOMMER

How long do we have? Please.

ROSA

Three hours ago.

SOMMER

Jay, we have an hour.

JAY

OK. Let’s go.

SOMMER

Wait! I need my bag.

Jay quickly gives her a little TOTE BAG.

JAY

Here. I got one.

Sommer puts a few diapers and bottles of milk and water.

(CONTINUED)

46.

SOMMER

Jay, can I borrow your cell?

Studying Sommer.

SOMMER

Can I?

JAY

My is an old one.

SOMMER

Can I?

Sommer looks for the cell timer.

JAY

What are you trying to do?

SOMMER

I’m looking for the timer.

JAY

Timer? Hold on.

Jay runs to his tuktuk, return with a TIMER, and hands it to

Sommer.

JAY

One of my customers left it behind.

What do you want to do with it?

After setting a 60 minute time on the timer, she turns to

Rosa.

SOMMER

What about Tylenol? Can I have some

Tylenol?

ROSA

We’re short on Tylenol.

(CONTINUED)

47.

SOMMER

Come on Rosa. We’re trying to save

a life here.

ROSA

You can get it at any pharmacies.

After pressing “start” button on the timer, she hands it to

Jay.

SOMMER

Jay. We have sixty minutes.

CUT TO:

21 EXT. PHNOM PENH STREET - LATE AFTERNOON 21

The tuktuk is heading out of the city.

SOMMER

(shouting)

Jay, you said you knew a short cut?

JAY

Yes, we are heading there. Are you

doing OK back there?

SOMMER

I’m OK.

CUT TO:

22 EXT. SMALL VILLAGE NEAR RAILROAD - LATER 22

Ten minutes later, they arrive at a small village with a few

thatch-houses scattered along a look-like abandon RAILROAD.

SOMMER

What? Is this Cheoung Ek.

JAY

No, it is not.

(CONTINUED)

48.

SOMMER

So what is it?

Jay’s cousin, SARUEN, a man at his 20s, approaches them.

SARUEN

(Khmer)

How do you do cousin!

JAY

(Khmer)

Good! How about you?

SARUEN

Good! I got everything ready.

Turning to Sommer.

JAY

This is my cousin, Sareun.

Sareun broadly smiles.

SARUEN

(say in backward)

WHO ARE YOAW?

Sommer puzzles.

JAY

He said it “how are you” backward

in Cambodian way.

SOMMER

Oh. Fine. I am Sommer.

SARUEN

I speak very little English.

(CONTINUED)

49.

SOMMER

You speak great! Nice meeting

you.(Beat) what are we doing here?

Jay and his cousin begin to place two PAIRS OF WHEEL on the

train track, secure a CRANK-SHAFT between them, then place a

BED-LIKE with an open-spot at one end.

Sommer watches them, and checks the timer.

SOMMER

46 minutes.

They carry a SMALL ENGINE and place it right in an open-slot

at one end of the bamboo-bed; then hook a belt from the

engine onto the crank-shaft.

They expertly assemble the pieces as if they’d done it many

times.

After a few cranks, the engine starts.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

What? Are we going to ride on this

thing?

JAY

We call it LORY. Some calls it

“bamboo bed.” Come on hop on.

SOMMER

No!

JAY

Come on. We don’t have time.

SOMMER

No! I can’t ride on this thing.

JAY

Why not? It’s going to be great!

SOMMER

No!

(CONTINUED)

50.

JAY

Come on! This is the only short

cut.

SOMMER

No! I thought we’d ride on the

tuktuk.

JAY

No. The tuktuk can’t go that far.

This is the only way.

SOMMER

No!

JAY

Come on. We are running out of

time. The baby needs medicine.

Jay jumps off the Lorry, extending an arm.

JAY

Come on. You can do it.

Sommer hesitates.

JAY (CONT’D)

There is no car in this village.

You have to get on.

SOMMER

You’re tricking me Jay. I thought

we’d ride on the tuktuk all the

way.

JAY

You’re right. I should have told

you.

SOMMER

I...I can’t.

(CONTINUED)

51.

JAY

Come on. You’ll be OK. I promise.

SOMMER

No!

JAY

What can I do to get you on the

bamboo?

SOMMER

Nothing.

SARUEN

(Khmer)

I don’t mind if you want to use my

motorbike.

JAY

What about riding on a motorbike?

SOMMER

A motorbike? No! No! No motorbike!

JAY

I understand it is sort of open,

but trust me. It is not that bad.

Just get on and close your eyes.

We’ll be there at no time. I

promise. Come on. (Insisting) Just

sit on it like you’re sitting on a

moving bed. That’s all. Come on.

Jay slowly and gently walks her to the bamboo train.

JAY (CONT’D)

See. It is not that bad. Right? Now

move a little bit to the middle.

Sommer closes her eyes tight.

JAY (CONT’D)

You’re doing OK.

(CONTINUED)

52.

Jay helps skid her to the middle.

JAY (CONT’D)

All right. Just sit tight and close

your eyes. I am starting the

engine.

The bamboo train begins to move slowly. She screams with a

panic attack.

Jay stops the engine and assists her off the bamboo.

JAY

I am sorry. What can I do?

Holding tight on Kercopes, she spots a PACKAGING PAPER BOX on

20 feet away on the ground.

SARUEN (KHMER)

That?

JAY

What?

CUT TO:

23 EXT. TRAIN TRACK - LATER 23

A DRONE SHOT angles on Jay and Sommer who sits in the

packaging paper box (PRODUCTION PLACEMENT).

CUT TO:

Sommer’s hands hold tight to the box, her eyes close tight,

experiences like riding on a “roller coaster.” After 3

minutes, she becomes calmer.

To ease her fears, Jay entertains her.

JAY

See. It is not that bad, right?

SOMMER

You said we’d be there in 20

minutes, right?

(CONTINUED)

53.

JAY

That’s right.

SOMMER

What would you do if the train is

coming?

JAY

Easy. We will stop and carry the

bamboo off the track, and let the

train pass.

SOMMER

Are you sure?

JAY

Sure. I grew up riding this thing

for a living. (Beat) do you want to

drive?

SOMMER

No! I don’t think so.

JAY

I am just curious. Why do you have

always carry the monkey on your

back?

SOMMER

Kercopes!

JAY

Kerc... we call it “hanuman.”

SOMMER

Kercopes.

JAY

Hanuman!

SOMMER

Kercopes!

(CONTINUED)

54.

JAY

OK...

FADE OUT.

24 EXT. CHEOUNG EK VILLAGE - SUNSET 24

The bamboo train slowly pulls to a complete stop in a small

village.

JAY

This is Cheoung Ek village.

After jumping off the bamboo, Jay assists her.

Her feet have already been on the ground, yet her eyes still

tightly close.

JAY (CONT’D)

Uh... we’re already on the ground.

You can open your eyes now.

Sommer can’t get up. Her legs become paralyzed.

Jay assists her to get up, unsuccessfully. He sits down next

to her, checks the timer counting down.

JAY

24 minutes. What do I do? Water!

He pulls one of baby bottles in the medical bag, and sprays

on Sommer’s face. Shortly, regaining her consciousness,

Sommer studies the surrounding.

SOMMER

Is it Cheoung Ek?

JAY (RELIEF)

Yes, it is.

Jay helps her get up.

JAY

This is the only street to the

railroad in the village. You can’t

get lost.

(CONTINUED)

55.

Sommer studies the dirt road both sides.

SOMMER

It is not what I imagined.

JAY

Like I said. It is very small.

Everyone knows everyone, I’m sure

we’ll find the mother at no time.

(Beat) are you ready?

Checking the timer.

JAY (CONT’D)

Hurry up. It’s getting dark.

After the word “dark”.

SOMMER

I want to sit down.

JAY

Let me help.

Sommer resists.

SOMMER

No, thanks. I need to sit down for

a minute.

CUT TO:

25 EXT. CHEOUNG EK, MAIN ROAD - BEFORE SUNSET 25

After a short walk, they stop at a LITTLE STORE along the

main road.

JAY

Let me ask.

There is seen SEREY PICH LITTLE (abusive husband’s second

wife) sitting behind a CIGARETTE COUNTER (PRODUCT PLACEMENT).

JAY (KHMER)

Hello. How are you?

(CONTINUED)

56.

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

What can I sell you?

JAY (KHMER)

No, actually we’re looking for

Serey Pich. Do you know where she

lives?

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Here are two Srey Pichs in this

village. I am SEREY PICH OLDER

Little. What can I do for you?

To Sommer.

JAY

She’s SEREY PICH OLDER. Do you have

a little girl?

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Oh no. I have a baby boy. Maybe you

meant Serey Pich Older who has a

baby girl. She lives a few houses

down on the road.

JAY (KHMER)

That maybe her. (Beat) do you know

her?

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Know her? She is my husband second

wife.

JAY (KHMER)

What?

SEREY PICH LITTLE(KHMER)

Yeah. She is my husband’s second

wife. Poor Serey Pich. He always

beats her.

Turning to Sommer.

(CONTINUED)

57.

SEREY PICH LITTLE(KHMER)

Is this western woman from some

kind of family protection agency?

JAY (KHMER)

No, she is not.

SOMMER

What did she say about me?

JAY

She asked if you were working for

the woman protection agency.

SOMMER

I wish, I were.

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Please help her if you can. I feel

very pity for her and her new born.

JAY (KHMER)

Can you tell us where we can find

her?

Serey Pich Little pulls Jay out of her store and points to

the end of the dirt road.

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

It is the 8th house from here.

Right over there on your right.

JAY (KHMER)

Eighth house on my right. Thank

you.

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

No problem.

SOMMER

Orkun.

(CONTINUED)

58.

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Oh. Are you not going to buy

anything?

JAY

No. Not really. Thank you.

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Come on. Buy something. How about a

pack of cigarette.

JAY

I don’t smoke. How about two

bottles of water (PRODUCT

PLACEMENT).

Jay hands $2000 Riels to Serey Pich Little.

JAY (KHMER)

Orkun.

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Please help her. I am really sorry

for her.

CUT TO:

26 INT. SEREY PICH OLDER OLDER’S HOUSE -SUNSET 26

Jay and Sommer enter the house interior of which are a table,

a few chairs, a bed. It’s pretty dim.

JAY (KHMER)

Hello, is anyone home? SEREY PICH

OLDER, are you home?

A woman at her mid 20s who has a black eye and bruises on her

face, she obviously has been beaten, comes out from the back.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Who’s looking for her?

JAY (KHMER)

I am a tuktuk driver from Phnom

Penh.

(CONTINUED)

59.

Turning to Sommer.

JAY (CONT’D)

And this is (Jay skips saying her

name) my customer.

The mother steps back.

SEREY PICH OLDER (KHMER)

What can I do for you?

JAY(KHMER)

Are you the one that tossed an

infant at a Western woman this

morning?

SEREY PICH OLDER(KHMER)

No... That wasn’t me. You’re

mistaking with someone else.

JAY (KHMER)

Your child has measles, and it’s

contagious. We’re here to give her

medicine.

SEREY PICH OLDER (KHMER)

No. I’m sure you’re mistaking with

someone else.

JAY (KHMER)

There’s only Serey Pich with a

little baby girl in this village.

Everyone knows you.

SEREY PICH OLDER (KHMER)

I swear I was home whole day.

JAY (KHMER)

Your baby is sick. We’re here to

give her medicine.

(CONTINUED)

60.

SEREY PICH OLDER (KHMER)

No. I already told you. You’re

mistaking with someone else. It

wasn’t me.

JAY (KHMER)

Please. Let’s us give her medicine,

and bring her back to the clinic.

SEREY PICH OLDER (KHMER)

No. Please. You’re really mistaking

with someone else. Please leave

before my husband comes home.

SEREY PICH OLDER pushes the two out of her house.

SEREY PICH OLDER (KHMER)

Please leave.

Sommer shows her the medical kit.

SOMMER

Please, at least let me give her

medication.

Eyeing on the medical kit, very attempting, but still not

want to admit it.

SEREY PICH OLDER(KHMER)

No. You’re mistaking me with

someone else.

From a distance from the outside, there is a voice of one of

the neighbors shouting.

NEIGHBOR (KHMER)

SEREY PICH OLDER, he’s coming.

Serey Pich Older becomes panicky.

SEREY PICH OLDER (KHMER)

Go! Go! Go hiding in the back. He’s

coming. He’s very violent.

(CONTINUED)

61.

Serey Pich Older pulls them through the back door, leading

them through an empty backyard into a small shack about 15

feet from her hut.

SEREY PICH OLDER (KHMER)

Please stay here and be quiet. I’ll

be right back.

In the shack, there have already been THREE FEMALES, ages 7,

16, and a late 20s, in a corner, nervously staring at them.

SOMMER

What is it? Where is this place?

Who are those girls?

JAY

I don’t know. (Beat) It could be...

a human traffic transit site.

SOMMER

What?

JAY

Shh...

Loud arguing, shouting, crying, and beating is heard coming

from the house.

JAY (CONT’D)

He’s beating her.

SOMMER

Why?

JAY

Didn’t you hear she said he’s a

very violent man?

SOMMER

So what are we going to do? (Beat)

How much time do we have?

Checking the timer.

(CONTINUED)

62.

JAY

15 minutes.

SOMMER

We need to feed Orchid soon.

There is more beating more screaming and crying.

There men’s footsteps are heard. Sommer peeks through a crack

open, seeing three men one of whom is about to slaughter a

hen.

After clearing partly feathers on the hen, he turns to Serey

Pich older’s ABUSIVE HUSBAND, a man in his late 30s.

MAN #2

Brother. Time for you to do the

honor.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND

Yeah! I am so ready.

The man #1 hands him a SHARP KNIFE.

MAN #2

Your honor.

Jay to Sommer.

JAY

Don’t look!

Sommer stays frozen as the abusive husband expertly slices

the knife through the hen’s throat. A stream of BLOOD at

first forcefully flows out.

They all laugh in excitement as Man #2 uses a large BOWL to

collect the blood.

Jay gently taps on her shoulder.

JAY

Can you wait here?

As if she just wakes up.

(CONTINUED)

63.

SOMMER

For what?

JAY

I’m going to find Orchid.

Suddenly, Serey Pich Older runs into the shack with Orchid.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Here’s my baby. Please help her.

Upon having Orchid in her arms, Sommer immediately feels

empowered.

SOMMER

Hey Orchid, I finally found you.

The infant smiles at her.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

That’s it.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Go! Go! Go! Go quick!

She pushes the two out of the shack, and points a small dirt

path.

SEREY PICH OLDER (CONT’D)

Follow this path, it will take you

to the main road. Quickly.

CUT TO:

27 EXT. SMALL DIRT WALK PATH - EARLY NIGHT 27

Jay navigates the way, Sommer with the infant on her arms

following.

SOMMER

Jay! I need to feed Orchid.

JAY

Let’s go a little further.

(CONTINUED)

64.

SOMMER

How long do we have to go? She

needs to be fed.

JAY

A bit more.

SOMMER

How’s the timing?

JAY

5 minutes.

SOMMER

Let’s stop here. I need to feed

her.

JAY

OK, if you said so.

SOMMER

What about those girls?

JAY

What about those girls?

SOMMER

Don’t you want to rescue them?

JAY

No. We are not here for them.

Besides we could get ourselves in

trouble.

They settle in a bush.

SOMMER

I’m feeding her. In the meanwhile,

would you go back to get those

girls?

(CONTINUED)

65.

JAY

What? We are not here for them. Let

feed the baby and go back to Phnom

Penh.

SOMMER

The baby is being taken care of.

She is safe now.

JAY

Are you sure you want to take those

girls along?

SOMMER

I can’t leave without them. You can

leave if you want.

JAY

What? How are going to ride the

bamboo? By yourself?

SOMMER

Having Orchid, I can ride on

anything.

JAY

But still...

SOMMER

Please.

JAY

I can’t leave you here alone with

Orchid.

SOMMER

Come on Jay.

JAY

OK, if you insist. I’ll go to get

them. You’ll stay here and feed the

baby. Deal?

(CONTINUED)

66.

SOMMER

Deal! Don’t be too long, though.

JAY

I won’t.

Jay heads back to the shack.

CUT TO:

28 EXT. SIDE OF THE DIRT PATH - NIGHT 28

Green-screen shot (VATICAN INTERIOR backdrop) of Sommer whose

hair is dressed in LADY WITH AN ERMINE.

Above her is a VOLUMETRIC LIGHT streaming from the left.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

I don’t know what it is about you

but I’ll find out once we’re back

to the clinic.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Having you in my arms, I feel so

empowered. I can’t wait to ride on

the bamboo back to the city.

CUT TO:

29 EXT. SIDE OF THE DIRT PATH -NIGHT 29

Sommer, in her previous dress, pulls out her COCOON, turning

it into a baby CARRIER, then properly securing Orchid in.

SOMMER

Why does it take Jay so long?

Looking at Orchid in her arms, she asks.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Orchid, should we go back for them

or leave without them?

Orchid smiles.

SOMMER

Yes! I love that smile!

(CONTINUED)

67.

Sommer heads back to the shack.

CUT TO:

30 EXT. SMALL SHACK - NIGHT 30

There is very loud laughter of a group of men, having a

party.

Sommer carefully studies its surrounding.

SOMMER

Jay, are you in there? Jay, do you

hear me?

She hears the movements in the shack.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Jay, this is sommer. Where are you?

Sommer pushes the broken door and enters.

In the dark, Jay, bruises all over his body, is blindfolded,

and the three girls strangely stare at Sommer.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Jay. What happened to you? I am

glad I came back.

Sommer signs for them to stay quiet as she unties Jay.

JAY

Why did you come back? You should

have gone back to Phnom Penh with

the baby.

SOMMER

Shh... Orchid is fine.

They sign for the girls to follow them, but the oldest woman

resists.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Come on! Come with us.

JAY

They don’t want to go.

(CONTINUED)

68.

SOMMER

Come on. Follow us. We’re going

back to Phnom Penh.

The oldest signs for them to leave.

JAY

They don’t want to go.

The youngest points at Kercupes.

YOUNGEST (KHMER)

Mom. I want that monkey!

OLDEST (KHMER)

It isn’t yours honey.

The youngest starts to shout.

YOUNGEST(KHMER)

But I want it! I want it! I want

the monkey.

The oldest covers her mouth.

OLDEST

Shh...

YOUNGEST

I want that monkey!!!

(OVERLAP)

JAY

Let’s go miss.

SOMMER

SOMMER!

The youngest screams louder.

YOUNGEST

I want the monkey!

(CONTINUED)

69.

SOMMER

All right, I’m going to let you

hold on to it. All right?

JAY

Don’t!

SOMMER

Don’t worry. I’m having Orchid.

Sommer ties Kercopes’s tail onto the girl.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Happy now?

The youngest stares at her, unsatisfying.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Sorry, you can’t have it all.

Sommer pulls Kercopes’s tail, the three reluctantly follow

her.

CUT TO:

31 EXT. SMALL DIRT PATH - NIGHT 31

They quietly move on the small dirt path, then through

bushes. Shortly, the youngest begins to whine. The laughing

and talking of the men begins to fade out.

YOUNGEST

Mom, I want the monkey. All for

myself!

JAY

Shh...

YOUNGEST

I want it! I want it!!!

OLDEST

Be quiet!

(CONTINUED)

70.

YOUNGEST

No! No! I want the monkey or I’ll

scream!!!

JAY

Uh!!!

SOMMER

It’s cool.

JAY

I thought you always needed the

monkey?

SOMMER

Kercopes!

Sommer unties Kercopes’s tail and gives to the youngest to

hold.

SOMMER (CONT’D)

Can you be quiet now?

JAY

This way.

After a long walk, heavy breaths (SFX) of cattle are heard.

JAY

Sh... Wait right here.

SOMMER

Jay, you stay here with them.

JAY

No, you’re having the baby.

SOMMER

Exactly.

Sommer cautiously approaches, seeing Serey Pich Little sits

on an OXCART.

(CONTINUED)

71.

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Hey, over here.

SOMMER

Perfect, she’s coming just the

right time.

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Come! Hop on!

JAY (KHMER)

Oh, bong Serey Pich. How did you

know?

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Come on. It is a quite distance.

SOMMER

Jay, you help them. I can handle it

myself.

Jay helps the women get on the oxcart. Sommer waits until

everyone is settled, then she hops right on.

Jay watches on, impressed by her strength.

CUT TO:

32 EXT. A WORN PATH -NIGHT. 32

The oxcart moves slowly in the night.

Suddenly, there are three men emerge from the bushes,

pointing a FLASHLIGHT at them.

With an alcoholic cracking voice.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

Where are you taking my girl?

Abusive Husband takes the baby back from Sommer as he talks

on his cell to Rosa on the other end.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

We got her.

(CONTINUED)

72.

ROSA (KHMER)

Do you see the medical kit?

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

Got it too.

ROSA (KHMER)

Take care of them as planned.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

As planned.

Turning to the oxcart, he demands.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

Come on, get off the cart!

Turning to Serey Pich Little.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

You can go! Wait for me at stupa.

SEREY PICH LITTLE (KHMER)

Sorry, he has my baby, too.

The oxcart heavily moves out of the scene.

CUT TO:

33 EXT. SOMEWHERE ON THE WORN-PATH - CONTINUE 33

Abusive husband orders man #2 and #3.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

Take the medical kit off her.

Sommer senses the trouble is coming.

SOMMER

Wait!

Sommer comes over to the youngest, taking Kercopes back, but

the youngest runs away.

(CONTINUED)

73.

JAY (KHMER)

Leave her alone. She’s just trying

to help your sick baby.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND

Shut this freak up!

Man #3 blows an elbow on Jay’s head.

MAN #3

Don’t you know how to shut up!

Jay gets up and comes to assist Sommer, but man #3 gives him

another hard blow.

CUT TO:

34 EXT. SOMEWHERE ON THE WORN-PATH -CONTINUE 34

There is an ABANDON HUT 30 feet from the worn-path.

Abusive husband orders his men.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

We don’t need the Westerner. Throw

her in the hut. Let her find her

way back.

JAY

The baby is sick. She can help the

baby with the medication.

MAN #3

Shut up! Have you not learned your

lesson?

JAY (KHMER)

But the baby needs help!

Another hard blows onto the ground, man #3 ties his hands

behind.

Talking to Rosa on the cell.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

We’re heading back with an extra.

(CONTINUED)

74.

ROSA

How is the girl?

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

She looks good.

ROSA (KHMER)

Bring her back to me.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

Will you pay me the rest?

ROSA (KHMER)

Of course, but make sure to watch

out for your wife. She’s too much

trouble.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

Don’t worry. I sure will break her

legs if I have to.

ROSA (KHMER)

What happened to the Western?

ABUSIVE HUSBAND

She’s passed out.

ROSA (KHMER)

Is she with you now?

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

No. I left her in an abandon hut.

She will find her way back when she

wakes up.

ROSA (KHMER)

Good job. See you in the morning.

ABUSIVE HUSBAND (KHMER)

With the rest of my payment!

(CONTINUED)

75.

They head back to the transit site with Jay and three girls.

CUT TO:

35 EXT. ABANDON HUT -NIGHT 35

Both Man #2 and Man #3 forcefully drag Sommer to the abandon

hut.

They open the door and throw her in.

Sommer is completely passed out.

TURN TO BLACK

36 EXT. LOTUS POND - LATER 36

In the middle of a LOTUS POND, there lies Sommer who has

become Ophelia with DISHEVELED hair (state of madness)in her

DRESS and a DECORATIVE WILD FLOWER HEADBAND, and her body is

partially submerged in the water.

1. In her POV (Extreme Close-up), she vaguely sees PINK LOTUS

PETALS wiggling in front of her eyes.

2. Slowly she sits up, in front of her is an endless rows of

lotus flowers.

3. She begins to hum OPHELLIA-SHAKESPEARE’s words (Ophelia

song by Elizabeth Maconchy) as she collects lotus flowers.

4. She starts counting numbers of lotus as she braids and

forms them SERPENT HEADs, each has 7 heads as seen at the

south entrance of the Angkor Thom.

5. After she finishes two cobra heads, she uses the remaining

of the 50 lotus, braiding them into two bodies OF the

SERPENT.

6. (This 108 number represents 54 gods (Asuras) and 54

demons(Devas) as seen the south gate of the Angkor Thom, and

the bas relief on the wall of Angkor Wat.

7. She works to her exhaustion, laying down on the ground,

and falling asleep.

TURN TO BLACK

37 EXT. HEAVEN GROUND - TIMELESSNESS 37

In total darkness, there is a sound of Khmer Apsara music

slowly and distinctively crescendoes in the darkness.

CUT TO:

76.

38 EXT. HEAVEN GROUND - TIMELESSNESS 38

ECU/POV, an unrecognizable figure is seen as she blinks her

eyes.

Momentarily she shuts her eyes again.

It returns to the darkness.

FADE OUT.

39 EXT. HEAVEN GROUND - TIMELESSNESS 39

A HANUMAN (monkey king is also Kercupes) figure is seen

dancing its monkey movements.

After his dance, he begins to lean his back onto Sommer’s, a

gesture of which is similar to Kercopes on Sommer’s. Sommer

is now seen in an apsara costume.

Shortly, there emerges a 7 Apsara troupe dancing as they

enter into the scene, and Hanuman yields his way to the

apsara troupe who gently assists Sommer to get up.

As if an apsara who loses her memories. Sommer follows the

troupe full puzzle.

The troupe helps with the movements. They eventually perform

a segment of “Churning of The Ocean of Milk.

[THE REST of the scene WILL BE COORDINATED WITH THE APSARA

TROUPE to bring Sommer back to the lotus pond.]

CUT TO:

40 EXT. LOTUS POND - EVENING 40

This scene is shot on DRONE which shows Sommer laying in the

middle of the pond in Ophelia.

As the drone descending, Ophelia is seen sitting up. She is

surrounded by a fields of skulls and bones (The Killing

Fields).

Her eyes are shut, breathing heavily to control her fears.

She starts to search in her pocket for the purple orchid,

placing in her mouth, and diving into “THE KILLING FIELDS.”

CUT TO:

77.

41 EXT. UNDER WATER - NIGHT 41

As soon as her body merges into the water, there is MENTAL

RELIEVING MOTIF music is PLAYED as seen earlier in the

bathtub.

Under water shots, we see every stroke of hers becomes a

stream of the purple orchids following her as she swims.

CUT TO:

42 EXT. LOTUS POND EDGE -NIGHT 42

Sommer is seen full of energy, drying herself, and getting

ready to return to the shack.

CUT TO:

43 EXT. THE VILLAGE MAIN ROAD - NIGHT 43

After locating where she is at, she strides toward Serey Pich

Older’s home.

CUT TO:

44 EXT. SEREY PICH OLDER’S HOME - NIGHT 44

Sommer stealthily goes around in the back of the house. Dark,

cool, soundless, but her foot steps.

Sommer enters the shack, unties Serey Pich Older’s hands.

SOMMER

Shh... You know where Jay is?

Serey Pich Older points to a dark path.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Come.

CUT TO:

45 EXT. STUPA TOWER AREA -NIGHT 45

(Khmer characters interact in Khmer)

After a 15 minute walk through the bushes, the two women

arrive to Angkor replica temple with four towers Each side of

which has and entrance.

(CONTINUED)

78.

They approach closer to have a better look from the bushes.

There is Man #3 sitting on the platform of a tower, smoking

(weed).

SOMMER

What do we do? (Beat) You stay

here. I’ll go.

SEREY PICH OLDER

(broken English)

You stay. I go.

SOMMER

No. You stay. I go.

Serey Pich grabs Sommer’s arm.

SEREY PICH OLDER

I go. You stay. My baby.

SOMMER

My baby too.

Serey Pich points at a back entrance.

SEREY PICH OLDER

You go. I go (in front).

SOMMER

We go together.

Sommer pulls Serey Pich as she walks toward the back

entrance.

SEREY PICH OLDER

No. You go. I go here.

CUT TO:

46 EXT. STUPA #1 - NIGHT 46

Serey Pich Older walks toward Man #2, slowly unbuttoning her

shirt. In this scene, Serey Pich Older and man #2 interact

in Khmer.

(CONTINUED)

79.

MAN #2

Who is it?

Man #2 jumps off the platform, defensively, then he drops his

jaw as if he sees a ghost.

MAN #2

Is... is that you Serey Pich Older?

I... I... thought you were...

SEREY PICH OLDER

What do you see?

Man #2 looks away.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Come on! Look at me.

MAN #2

No.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Come on. What do you care?

MAN #2

No...no...

SEREY PICH OLDER

Do you want me?

MAN #2

He’ll kill me.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Just you and I. He wouldn’t know.

Man #2 quickly glances at her breasts then turns away.

MAN #2

What do you want from me?

(CONTINUED)

80.

SEREY PICH OLDER

My baby, that’s all I want.

CUT TO:

47 INT. STUPA #2, REAR ENTRANCE -NIGHT 47

Sommer watchfully enters the tower from rear entrance while

Serey Pich keeps distracting Man #2.

Sommer enters stupa #2. The three women sleep on a mat in a

corner.

Tiptoeing.

SOMMER

Jay. It’s me. Sommer.

She unties Jays.

JAY

How did you...

SOMMER

Shh... don’t wake them up.

CUT TO:

48 EXT. STUPA #1 -NIGHT 48

MAN #2

I thought I tied you on the ground.

SEREY PICH OLDER

You did but I have magic.

MAN #2

What do you want?

SEREY PICH OLDER

I want my daughter. That’s all.

MAN #2

She isn’t here.

(CONTINUED)

81.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Tell me. Where she is. I’ll let you

touch.

Man #2 becomes nervous as Serey Pich Older pointing her

breasts toward him.

MAN #2

Please don’t.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Why not?

MAN #2

I... I... can’t.

SEREY PICH OLDER

I know you always want to touch my

breasts? Here they are. Touch them.

Then tell me where my daughter is.

MAN #2

I... I... can’t.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Come on.

MAN #2

Are you... sure... I can touch...

them?

SEREY PICH OLDER

Yeah, why not.

MAN #2

Would you tell him?

SEREY PICH OLDER

No. I won’t. Tell me first then you

can touch.

(CONTINUED)

82.

MAN #2

She is... with him.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Where?

MAN #2

Can... I... touch them first.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Where?

Man #2 turns his head around, looking at the breasts.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Come on. Tell me then I let you

touch them.

MAN #2

No... I... can’t.

Serey Pich grabs his hand and puts it on her breast. Man #2

quickly withdraws.

MAN #2

OK. They are in the back tower.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Which one.

He hesitatingly points at stupa #3. Sommer lets man #3 touch

her breasts.

SEREY PICH OLDER

I have to go.

MAN #2

Can... can I touch one you more

time.

Serey Pich intensely stares at him.

(CONTINUED)

83.

MAN #2

I’ll stay quiet.

OLDER SEREY PICH

Promise?

MAN #2

Promise!

Serey Pich comes closer to Man #2 as she unbuttons her shirt.

Man #2 still looking away, Older Serey Pich grabs his hands

and places them on her breasts.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Happy now?

MAN #2

Yeah... I... am very happy.

Man #2 collapses.

BACK TO SOMMER:

49 INT. STUPA #1 -NIGHT 49

SOMMER

Follow me.

She spots the youngest with Kercopes sleeping.

SOMMER

Wait!

JAY

I’ll get it.

Jay carefully frees Kercopes on her shoulders, then passes to

her.

SOMMER

Thank you.

(CONTINUED)

84.

SOMMER

Do you know where the baby is?

JAY

I don’t. (Beat) Are you not going

to take those girls this time?

SOMMER

No. We’ll be back for them later.

JAY

Where are we going?

SOMMER

Help Serey Pich Older locate the

baby.

Jay looks at 3 more stupes, each is 600 feet away.

JAY

Which one?

SOMMER

Let’s split.

JAY

No. Let’s stick together.

SOMMER

You’re fast. You go to the remote

one. If you can’t find her, meet me

on the second.

JAY

OK. I’ll see you.

CUT TO:

50 EXT. STUPA #3 - NIGHT 50

Serey Pich Older tiptoes up the steps into the EAST entrance.

In very dimming light, there a baby comfortably sleeps on a

haystack.

(CONTINUED)

85.

Serey Pich Older studies the room. There she spots Serey Pich

Little sleeping with her Abusive Husband. She cautiously

crawls into the room.

She quietly picks up the baby and slowly retrieves.

On the way out, she bumps into Sommer.

SOMMER

You’ve got the baby?

Serey Pick Older nods.

SOMMER

Let’s go.

Two women with the baby run out into the bushes.

SOMMER

Wait. Let’s wait for Jay.

Suddenly there is shouting of first of female then all three

men.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Run.

Sommer hesitates momentarily but follows her.

Jay is also being chased but in a different direction.

SOMMER

Wait for Jay.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Jay OK.

Serey Pich Older drags Summer as the shouting and cursing

behind them is heard.

CUT TO:

51 EXT. RAILROAD -NIGHT 51

Once they both reach to the Railroad where the bamboo train

parks, they no longer hear the men’s.

(CONTINUED)

86.

SOMMER

That was a good run.

SEREY PICH OLDER

No? No chasing?

SOMMER

No more chasing. (Beat) How’s the

baby? Here is the carrier.

In the dark night, Serey Pich Older checks on the baby in her

arms.

SEREY PICH OLDER

What?

SOMMER

What’s wrong?

SEREY PICH OLDER

No my baby.

SOMMER

What?

SEREY PICH OLDER

No my baby.

SOMMER

What? No your baby?

She staggers back a few steps in shock.

SEREY PICH OLDER

No my baby. I have to go back.

Sommer drops on the ground, grieving.

SEREY PICH OLDER

You stay. I go.

(CONTINUED)

87.

SOMMER

I’ll go with you.

SEREY PICH OLDER

My baby! You stay! I go!

There is sound of screaming in grief from a distance.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Shh...

SOMMER

What’s it?

SEREY PICH OLDER

Her baby.

Older Serey Pich quickly runs back, leaving Sommer alone

sitting on the ground.

Shortly, we see Serey Pich Older returns in excitement.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Jay has my baby!

SOMMER

Who? Jay?

SEREY PICH OLDER

Yes. Jay has my baby!

SOMMER

I hope he is OK.

CUT TO:

52 EXT. RAILROAD -NIGHT 52

SOMMER

Can you help me assemble the

bamboo?

Serey Pich nods, picks up the wheels, and places on the rail.

(CONTINUED)

88.

Sommer follows, carries the wheels, and places on the other

end.

After they properly place the bamboo bed on the top of the

wheels.

SEREY PICH OLDER

You stay here. I go to Jay. My

baby.

SOMMER

No. I’ll go with you. I want to see

the baby too.

Serey Pich pulls her hand, pushes her to seat on the lorry,

and shows her how to start the engine.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Easy?

To prevent the engine moves forward, Serey Pich blocks the

engine with a WOODEN STICK.

SEREY PICH OLDER

OK?

SOMMER

No. I’ll go with you.

SEREY PICH OLDER

No. You stay! I go getting my baby.

Serey Pich Older quickly runs off into the worn path. Leaving

Sommer alone figuring how to operate the lory.

Shortly, the youngest dashes out from bushes, running over

and pulling Kercopes off Sommer. She quickly knocks the brake

off the wheel.

YOUNGEST

My monkey! My monkey! My monkey!

Screaming victoriously, she runs into the bushes.

CUT TO:

89.

53 EXT. TRAIN TRACK - NIGHT 53

Sommer still sits motionless on the moving bamboo train.

Shortly, we see Jay with Orchid in his arms being chased by

the mop.

He keeps running after the moving bamboo train as she calls

out for Sommer.

JAY

Somm....merrrrrrrrr!!! Catch the

baby!

Jay tries desperately to catch the moving bamboo.

JAY (CONT’D)

Here’s Orchid! Please catch her!

Gradually loses his strength.

JAY

(out of his lungs)

MISS SUUUUUUUUUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as she hears her name is called “SUMMER,” she

immediately turns around.

SOMMER

Don’t call me...

Wasting no time, Jay passes the infant onto her arms.

The moment of physical contact with Orchid, Sommer

immediately becomes strong and empowered.

Reaching out to Jay.

JAY

Don’t worry about me. I’ll see you

in Phnom Penh.

SOMMER

OK. I’ll see you in Phnom Penh.

(CONTINUED)

90.

Jay runs into the bushes. Behind him the mop is also out of

breaths.

CUT TO:

54 EXT. RAILROAD - NIGHT 54

Still sitting on the lorry, Sommer checks on the infant’s.

Her measles have already faded out.

SOMMER

Hah! My little Orchid. You’re

getting better.

The infant giggles as Sommer holds her tight in her arms.

Sommer pulls up the gas bar. She obviously enjoys her ride.

CUT TO:

55 EXT. RAILROAD - NIGHT 55

A rushing train is heard from a distance.

SOMMER

Shoot! Is that a coming train?

Sommer turns her head around trying to locate the direction

of the coming train.

She sees a HEADLIGHT moving toward her.

She exerts a strong force onto the wooden-brake, then jumps

off the bamboo train. She carries Orchid to safety, far away

from the tracks.

There bamboo train keeps moving in the dark -silently, as the

headlight keeps moving forward.

As the coming forward headlight comes closer, it turns out to

be a headlight of a motorbike.

Looking at Orchid in her arms, happily.

SOMMER

It’s all in my head.

CUT TO:

91.

56 EXT. TRAIN TRACK - SUNRISE 56

From a distance, we see a SILHOUETTE FIGURE of Sommer holding

Orchid. In front of her, the sun is rising.

CUT TO:

57 INT. WAT LANKA - PHNOM PENH - EARLY MORNING 57

An extreme close up on a TATTOO NEEDLE pricking on Sommer’s

flesh.

CUT TO:

We see Sommer, Jay, Serey Pich Older with her baby, and a

Buddhist monk who indecipherably chanting and water-blessing

them with HOLY WATER from a COPPER BOWL.

SOMMER (V.O.)

Dear mother,

When the mother gave birth to

Orchid, she said, Orchid was very

sick and believed to have died. The

mother brought her to this Buddhist

monk to be blessed. Minutes after

the blessing, she was surprisingly

recovered. To mark her revival, the

Buddhist monk gave her a little

beautiful purple-orchid tattoo on

her tiny shoulder, which was to

remind her that she was a purple

orchid -a symbol of LOVE, BEAUTY,

SURVIVAL, and STRENGTH.

After the blessing tattoo, Sommer takes the purple orchid out

of her pocket -with both of her palms, she let go of it. The

purple orchid slowly lands into the copper bowl.

Sommer pulls out 3 envelops. Palms together in Cambodian

fashion, Sommer offers an envelop to the Buddhist monk, then

SEREY PICH OLDER Older, and Jay.

SOMMER

Orkun.

SEREY PICH OLDER

Wait!

SEREY PICH OLDER Older pulls Kercupes in her BABY BAG.

(CONTINUED)

92.

SOMMER

Kercopes! Thank you. How did you

get it?

SEREY PICH OLDER (KHMER)

From the brat!

As usual, she wears Kercopes on her back, but this time she

wears it “UPSIDE DOWN.”

58 EXT. NGO CLINIC, FRONT -MORNING 58

There is a local REPORTER with a MIC.

REPORTER (KHMER)

The government just made arrest of

a NGO nurse who was illegally

operating an adoption agency

without license...

As Rosa is led by 2 PLAIN-CLOTH POLICE out of the clinic, the

Non-Cambodian man suddenly appears behind.

NON-CAMBODIAN

Hey what’s going on? I am having

diarrhea here.

CUT TO:

59 EXT. WAT LANKA -DAY 59

Sommer heads out to the tuktuk, Jay is a few steps behind.

JAY

Are you sure you don’t want to go

for an elephant ride...

Slowly she turns about to correct his SUMMER pronunciation.

JAY

(GIGGLE)

“SOMMER,” of course.

With a mysterious smile.

(CONTINUED)

93.

SOMMER

Maybe next time...

CUT TO:

60 EXT. PHNOM PENH STREET -DAY 60

A montage of Phnom Penh that is shot on DRONE as the tuktuk

heading to the airport.

SCROLLING CREDIT

The Purple Orchid

Popular Posts